About Me

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

on white...

I enjoy painting images with bright white backgrounds. The subject should pop out and make statement and the background in crisp white makes the piece modern enough without it getting sterile. The loose style of this mixed media painting brings together a traditional subject rendered in an abstract way and placed on a minimalist background which allows it to blend with any interior space. 
I began with a multi-colored splash of color then painted the white over it - doing the painting in reverse order so that the background is actually the foreground. Once complete I added loose outlines in pastel to define the final piece. I added gel medium as a final touch which not only protects the surface but gives the overall painting depth and texture. With subjects like this I have to let go and not over-think it. If I do it will lose its freestyle personality and look contrived. Don't want that!

16x16 on wood panel - and off to get framed and ready for sale. 



No comments:

Post a Comment